Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Cult Nails Quench

Hello!

I'm back today with a... you guess it! Another vampy shade... But seriously today is the letter "Q" in the alphabet challenge, and when you actually HAVE a polish that starts with the letter Q you don't question the shade it comes in. Quench is a deep and glowy red creme jelly hybrid that perfect for a snowy winter night.

Cult Nails Quench
I had a bit of bad luck where right after applying my youngest son (9 mnts old) woke up and caused some wrinkles. Then tried to take a few pics on a super deary and raining day and nothing was coming out true to colour. This inspired me to try using my homemade light box. I have used it in the past, but have never shown those pics on this blog, I find them to have a yellow cast (anyone know what lights to use to prevent that?). Today I had day light, the light box and my camera, and decided to fold a piece of wax paper in front of the flash.


Taken in light box

Taken in light box

What surprises me about Quench is how RED red it looks. To me in real life this shade is a deep saturated dark red that absorbs the light giving out a glowy appearance.

Does anyone have light box tips for a photography challenged nail blogger? Specifically lighting tips?

You can pick up Cult Nails HERE but I noticed that Quench is sold out at the moment (likely thanks to their recent birthday sale)- Did anyone pick up any?

12 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful RED red. Often color correction is necessary, and sometimes a camera needs adjusting - but generally color editing often is a fact of life. I'm looking into making a little photo study for a hand, haven't gotten very far yet though LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see I have alot to learn.. yikes!! Thank

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I'm glad you had a "Q". As for a light box, I have been researching them. I have looked at making my own but it looks much easier to just buy one online...LOL. So what kind of lighting are you using for your light box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed a tutourial (let me know if you want the link) and it said to use clip on lights, but I have a dreaded feeling I misunderstood what he was talking about... I just want to buy one too damn it!

      Delete
  3. I thought about a lightbox, but I think I'll just get an ott light when the sun disappears for good up here in OR. Thus, I've got no advice for ya. ;} Although when I was food blogging removing an indoor color cast was, as Maria said, a fact of life. This red is sooo vampy and gorgeous. Awesome Q choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha not so much a choice as its probaby the only Q polish in the world lol! Ok I gotta look in to some colour correcting biz-nas... Me too I want an OtT light

      Delete
  4. You actually have a Q polish- that is impressive! A tip for getting rid of the yellow cast in pics (that I just learned myself). When editing check the "White balance" of the pic. It is in the edit drop down menu I believe ( I don't know hat editing software you have) and click on the white spots in the pics (background, etc.) This actually will give you a truer rendering of the color you are trying to photograph. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh- and I read somewhere to use OTT lighting in lightboxes. This is a "pure" white light and won't create a yellow cast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Thanks for all the advice... I will be trying the white bablance for sure.

      Delete
  6. Lucky you had a Q! I have a light box too and I think regardless of the situation, getting color accurate photos is difficult for me...especially neons. I have also been told that purples are hard to get color accurate. I'd love to hear if you figure out what light works best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def! I will let everyone know what I figure out with this contraption known as my light box! Oh and damn you colour accuracy! Damn you! :)

      Delete
  7. oooh mama look at that awesome red!!!! How do i not have this yet????
    I use the OttLite lamp, I don't have a box. Also, all other light bulbs in my office (where I take pictures) are the "natural light" ones, the ones that don't give off yellow tinge, so overall you get best pictures this way!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...